Izzy and I have spent the past couple of weeks reading a lot. The snow that North Carolina had last week gave us a few days off, and we had plenty to do. I wrote and read. He watched me write and read. And we walked. He sniffed the snow and got an “ice cream headache” and I laughed at him and thought about how much I love this little being that shares my life.
There are plenty of other people who also love the four-legged people in their homes, and many have written books about them. Some are ‘meh’ (Danielle Steel has written one about her Chihuahua called Pure Joy that is not worth the price even if it was free), and some are wonderful. Today’s post will be about those that are wonderful. Feel free to add your own choices, but this is my personal top ten.
10. The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein
9. Oogy: The Dog Only a Family Could Love by Larry Levin
8. Merle’s Door: Lessons from a Freethinking Dog by Ted Kerasote
7. Marley and Me by John Grogan
6. Rin Tin Tin: The Life and the Legend by Susan Orlean
5. Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls
4. Old Yeller by Fred Gipson
3. The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski
2. The Call of the Wild by Jack London
1. Lassie Come Home by Rosemary Wells